1 How to achieve balayage drawers | Mooch Style

How to achieve balayage drawers

up-cycled painted drawers

I find my self pinning all these stunning shots on my pinterest account of other peoples up-cycled furniture.  One thing that has caught my eye multiple times is a balayage effect on the individual drawers, balayage is a gradual lightning effect (it may be a hair definition but we will use it here haha). I had just got my latest order from Voodoo Molly Vintage and was eager to open the cans and start throwing some paint around - im not kidding im a messy painter!!

6 steps to achieving the balayage look on drawers

  1. Getting started I lightly sanded down the furniture with a medium grit sand paper, if you don't know what grit is what - just ask the team at your local hardware store, they are so helpful. Once this is completed and the finish is slightly roughed up you can then wipe down with a micro fibre cloth to remove all dust (I also use an old paint brush to wipe the cracks and grooves).
  2. I had 3 colours I needed to achieve so I separated the paint into 3 jars adding my VDMV Charcoal to each one making sure I had them at 3 different levels as I went.
  3. I then added white to each to bring them to the same level - mixing the darkest colour first so I can lighten from there.
  4. I then painted the drawers with 3 coats using 1 jar per 1 drawer allowing 1 hour drying time between coats.
  5. While the drawers dry this is a good opportunity to paint the shell of the drawers as you can rotate between coats - again 3 coats will be fine.
  6. Let them dry over night just to be 100% confident that the paint has worked its magic and hardened.
Drawers for a girls room

you are not a confident painter I recommend using the Voodoo Molly Vintage range, its coverage is like no other and is SO easy to paint.  The end product is always a stunning finish that you will be proud of.

Best indoor plants to use So what can we match with these drawers?  I would use these in a larger bedroom so you can see the stunning finish and appreciate the balayage effect with the paint. A Senecio Rowleyanus (string of pearls) plant would be perfect to drape over the side in a marble or terracotta pot (Kmart is your go to here). And then a nice tray or container for your makeup/haircare to finish it off.


We have had such great feedback from this project, give it a go and tell us how you get on, the balayage repainted drawers are a surprisingly easy way of up-cycling a really cool old piece of furniture and making it look better than a new piece because it has character and is styled specific to your home.

Keep up to date on our latest projects on Facebook and Instagram!

Shayden Whipps

My passion is the creative world and the effects it has on day to day life, a strategically planned brand, a well composed photo, a piece of pre loved furniture brought to life again its all what makes me tick 

No comments:

Post a Comment